Monday, July 15th, 2013 | Business, DIY tips, Virtual Assistant | No Comments
To celebrate Entrepreneur’s Do It Yourself Marketing Month in June, 2013 – we published one DIY marketing tip or recommendation every day for 30 days. If you’re a small business owner, virtual assistant or entrepreneur, try these techniques any day of the year to promote your company. It doesn’t have to wait ‘til the next DIY Marketing Month!
- 1. Get a clear picture of your ideal customer. All marketing efforts fail if you misunderstand your target audience! (See #16)
- 2. People trust user reviews. Ask your customers to submit success stories about your product or service, and use them liberally in social media or on your web site.
- 3. Register your business on Google+ to boost your search returns on Google.
- 4. Check your business card. Do you offer a compelling reason for someone to keep it and to contact you? Put an offer and Call To Action (CTA) on the back.
- 5. Partner with another business owner to cross-promote your companies to each others’ database of customers. This can double your reach immediately.
- 6. Comment on blogs that appeal to your customers’ interests. Be sure to include a link to your blog or web site.
- 7. Get marked. Put your logo on your vehicle, apparel or at least a name badge.
- 8. Appreciate your customers with a note, gift card or freebies.
- 9. Establish your expertise by publishing a book and selling it on Amazon.
- 10. Network with colleagues through professional organizations to find potential referral partners or independent contractors.
- 11. Pimp your e-mail signature. Include links to your social media profiles, web site, blog or shopping cart.
- 12. Start blogging, if you aren’t already.
- 13. Join on-line communities for support and inspiration.
- 14. Call all of your current customers and ask, “How else may we help you?”
- 15. Compile a list of the 100 people or businesses you want to have as a customer. Include all of the contact information you have for each.
- 16. Buy and read Customers are the Answer to Everything
- 17. Become an affiliate partner for other products and services, and add their links to your blog or newsletters.
- 18. Get featured in news content by responding to HARO – Help A Reporter Out
- 19. Make calls to the people on your Power 100 list today.
- 20. Keep in touch with your customers through e-mail…be helpful, not spammy!
- 21. Take advantage of Take Your Dog to Work Day. What customer can resist a loveable pooch? More smiles and more talking will lead to more “yeses” when you ask for the sale.
- 22. Partner with a complementary business who already serves your ideal customer.
- 23. Volunteer for community causes and events.
- 24. Write a press release and send it to your local newsrooms.
- 25. Broadcast yourself on Youtube.
- 26. Join a networking group like Referral Exchange Organization (REO) or BNI
- 27. Trade free samples or free services for contact information, and follow up with the prospect for future sales opportunities.
- 28. Review your web site copy for SEO. Add missing search terms to your content to help customers find you on Google.
- 29. Put a “call to action” (CTA) box on your home page with a sign up form that add contacts to your CRM (customer relationship management) system.
- 30. Set up a series of replies (autoresponders) through your CRM system to warm up prospects auto-magically.
Our ROI for June 2013 resulted in about 50 more Twitter followers, a 30% increase in unique visitors to our web, three new customers, and one huge upsell.
Total time invested: 4 hours on HootSuite. Total dollars invested: $16.95
If you like any of these ideas and aren’t sure how to execute them, contact us! We’ll be happy to help in any way.